- What Are Energy Segments?
- Economics 101
- I Care About The Environment!
- How Do Energy Segments Generate Revenue?
- The Project Sponsor Scenario
- The Segment Owner Scenario
- Example Project
The Segment Owner Scenario
The following example uses the information from the 5.2 kW system found under “Example Project”.
Kelly lives in an apartment and is becoming increasingly concerned with the environment. After trying to convince the apartment board to erect a solar array on the building, she is denied. Kelly opts to purchase 3 energy segments from a solar PV system on the other side of the city. These segments will offset her computers electricity usage for the next 5 years. This excites Kelly as she is now reducing her carbon footprint, and generating a return on her investment.
To friends and family, Kelly now claims that community solar “makes financial sense” while enabling segment owners to “support the development of solar in Alberta”. Even though the apartment Kelly lives in doesn’t generate electricity through solar, she has purchased a piece of her own solar array.
How many energy segments are required to offset 100% of the power consumption for 21.5-inch iMac (Idle with Display on) (115V mode)?
- One energy segment produces 3.61 kWh per year
- Computer uses 37.7 W
- Computer is used on average of 4 hours per day
- Computer requires 55kWh per year for 5 years
- Approximately 3 energy segments are required to supply power for 5 years
- The full cost of the energy segments is recovered by the end of the project.
- The cost of 3 energy segments: $30
See the electrical devices database for other Apple and PC computers.
For questions or comments on the “What are Energy Segments?” section please send us an email to CustomerService@ensegs.com